Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Alive Again

Yay! I just got my new charger and it's amazingly enough actually working. Here are some important points that have left unsaid while I was unplugged, that is to say...

On Chocolate, Take 2:

Stockmann has a New York theme this month. To celebrate they have brought American chocolate to the chocolate department. And what kind of American chocolate, you ask? Well, Hershey's Kisses of course, only the worst chokolate in the whole world! How thoughful.

But they did have Pepperidge farm cookies. Although of course not the best ones. If there is one thing Americans know how to do, it has to be cookies. I might be partial, though. Tommi always said that I have an American cookie taste. Even before I went there. But they do have the best cookies, so I don't think anybody can really complain.

And on the Finnish chocolate front: Have you tried the new Fazer's blue yet? I can't decide whether I like it or loathe it. It's rather weird. But quite addictive.




Also my fridge is now working again. I did resort to buying lingonberry jam, though. But you can't really consider spinach pancakes without lingonberry jam.

And talking about food, tonight I had the arcetypical everyday supper of the lazy saving Finn: lihamakaronilaatikkoa. The direct translation is meat macaroni box. It's a typical Finnish what we call "box" food: you take stuff, mash it, put it in a box or rather a casserole and put the box in the oven. This one has macaroni and minced meat. And it's the only food in my opinion that's really supposed to be eaten with ketchup.

Lucky I don't have a picture.

3 comments:

janus said...

If there is one thing Americans know how to do, it has to be cookies.

we can make them sugary and decadent, but we're not so good at tea cakes, for example ..

.. then again, i remember enough times where it was debated if i was an "american" or not ..

janus said...

so that you can have two comments ..


The direct translation is meat macaroni box. It's a typical Finnish what we call "box" food: you take stuff, mash it, put it in a box or rather a casserole and put the box in the oven.

it reminds me of what i call "lazy man stew." one boils macaroni, opens up a can of soup, and when the macaroni is done boiling, one drains the boil water, adds soup, and probably spicy hot sauce.

i think i avoided starvation by this method, while in undergrad.

Saara said...

Yay! Two comments! Erm, actually tree now. (But that's cheating.)

On Cookies: I agree.

On Ugly Macaroni Foods: It's not the same though. The Finnish macaroni box you buy ready and just heat it up. Making it yourself is more complex (takes more than 2 minutes). But my explanation was probably misleading since it was an explanation for the general case of box food, not the special case of makaronilaatikko.