Thursday, March 27, 2008

Cold

Perhaps a month ago, or maybe even earlier, probably much earlier, probably when I was starting my Icelandic forces of nature series, well then, whenever it was, I wanted to write a post about coldness. I was quite tired of being cold all the time. It's not very warm in our apartment and the windows aren't very thick or the doors very tight. And it can be quite cold here sometimes, outside. Even if the temperature seems quite high it can be absolutely freezing. It's all because of the wind. There will be a post about wind later. I promise. The most important force of them all.

But about coldness. Our hot water was also broke for some time. Well, not in fact quite broke, we did get some hot water, but not very much by any means. As an example during the worst week filling the bath took 50 minutes and after the problem was fixed the bath was full in only 5. And if it is very cold, taking a hot bath is the only thing that can make you warm again, even if you have to wait for an hour to get in. And besides, soaking in hot water is rather Icelandic. As hot water is pretty much free here.

But I've also armed myself with blankets and icelandic herbal teas both of which I have written before. Here's a picture.

















And let me brag: There was some study recently that declared Iceland as the most expencive coutry in the world. And still I managed to buy the blankets for 400 ISK each and the tea mugs for 100 ISK each. Pretty good, eh? As 100 ISK is about one euro.

And yes, I know I've been silent lately. My mum's visiting. And there's way too much work. This post was half written earlier and I just felt sorry for my readers tonight, that's why I got it up.

But don't worry about me freezing my ass off here, the summer's coming, I'm sure of it. Just the other day I had to turn on the cold air in the car... For whole five minutes.

No comments: