Friday, February 8, 2008

Some More Snow

I'm giving up now. I've been trying to upload pictures to this post yesterday evening and during the whole day today but it doesn't seem to be happening. I think it's the storm creating havoc with the wireless. At least the lights are all blinking.

Yesterday there was no sane possibility to drive to Akranes and we decided to cancel the class. I had previously taken a taxi to Josy's place in order to help her get the car out but she'd managed to enlist the help of one of her polish neighbours and had already run some errands before I finally got there. In retrospect walking would have been much faster than first waiting for ages for the taxi and then driving around in the snow chaos. Josy still had one errand left and I hopped into the car. We were already running a bit late and considering the visibility of almost twenty meters in the vertical snowfall we decided that it'd be best to cancel.

So I walked home happily hopping in the snowdrift. Icelanders are really crazy drivers. It's not at all unusual to see cars driving with almost all of the windows still covered with snow and absolutely nobody clears the roofs before taking off. Hence depending on the snowfall all the cars drive around with 10-30 cm of snow on their roofs. It looks quite funny. Like they are little mushrooms.

There's a scene in 101 Reykjavík, where the guys take off with the car in a blizzard and just before stepping into the car the driver wipes with one hand a small round hole to the windshield. It was one of my favourite scenes but somehow it doesn't seem nearly as funny anymore.

Actually, this Wednesday I almost got hit by a car when I was waiting for the green light. I was standing on the side of the road in a huge intersection and this car comes sliding from the other side of the intersection all the way to the oncoming lines and onto the pavement. I had to hop aside in order to avoid being hitten. Crazy!

*** (snow!!! heehee)

So yesterday I heard that they were forecasting for today the worst weather in the last hundred years in Iceland. And what do I do today? I go out running to the beach! Yay! My god! I got completely soaked and was so happy I kept screaming almost all the time.

Well, the beach was really too windy. I was quite afraid that the blasts of wind would throw me to the sea or perhaps more realistically make me fall against the rocks. So after running all the way east along the beach I turned inland and navigated back in the shelter of the tall buildings by the shore. Which was in a way better because there was no slippery ice on the roads and no wind blowing sharp on my face. On the other hand there were ankle deep pools of icy water and piles and piles and piles of dirty snow everywhere. And at one point the wind blew so hard behind me that for a second I started running as fast as I could in order to be able to fly but then slowing down took all my strength. But quite luckily I didn't get blown away.

No comments: