Monday, January 28, 2008

Ice






















Coming back to my Icelandic Forces of Nature series: Here's number three, Ice. This was at Ráðhús Reykjavíkur, the Reykjavik City Hall by the lake Tjörnin a little over a week ago. Tjörnin is the same lake where all the swans are. You didn't imagine such a small place could really pride on two lakes, now did you?

We took a Reykjavík City Sightseeing tour with my grandma who was visiting last week and one of the stops was at the City Hall. The Hall is by the lake and also in a way surrounded by the lake since on the shore side where the main doors are the lake water forms a basin on both sides of the doors. Beside the doors there are two stone walls down on which water is running. There had been frost for a couple of days and thus the water had freezed into thick icicles along the walls. From the tips of the icicles though water was already dripping down into the basin.

After the tour I walked back to take pictures of the ice. For more ice pictures and Reykjavík sights check out the City Sightseeing album on my Picasa page.

Oh, and quite appropriately since I am announcing the second picture series on Reykjavík (the first being Reykjavík 101) this post is in fact the post number 101. I was really just going to brag about having posted over 100 posts until I realized that I actually have a cool way of disguising my bragging into something almost relevant.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least you have real winter there. In Helsinki the winter hasn't really started yet (except for few days now and then) and I'm not sure it will. And this means floods and more work for me :( Terveisiä Tetelle.

Saara said...

I'm so sorry to hear that the winter's been so miserable there. However, I wasn't too happy about all the ice and snow tonight when I was driving to Akranes to teach my dance classes...

I hope you'll get a good frost though and lots of snow!!!

Kiitokset terveisistä, Tette tosin ehti jo palata Suomeen.