Sunday, December 16, 2007

Reykjavík 101

Yes, I'm still in Helsinki. But I am catching up with uploading old pictures. These ones are from Reykjavík. The series is called Reykjavík 101 because for one that's the postal code of our address and the central part of the town and most of the pictures are from around that area and secondly because the pictures present my first impressions of the city thus forming the first course in Saara's lecture series on living in Reykjavík.

But there's still one reason for the name that actually renders the post almost current. I just saw the movie 101 Reykjavík for the first time last week. I might assure you that it's quite a famous movie (and a book before that) even if you've never heard of it before. But you are forgiven because people generally don't know stuff that's world famous in Iceland. However, the movie was great. If you have a chance to see it, I warmly recommend, it's super funny and completely weird.

One of my favourite scenes is when Hlynur, the main guy, a total waste of space, starts putting money in all the emptying parking meters along the street and the meter maid is running after him yelling that one is not allowed to put money for other people's cars. There's a strange type of Icelandic humor, which I hope you may be able to glimpse already from some of my pictures and which is blooming in the movie.

But all in all it's funny that there can be a movie from a city you've lived in only a month and still you are able to recognise almost all the places.

No comments: