Monday, November 19, 2007

It's Possible But You Have to Run

That's exactly how much help you'll get if you happen to have a 55 minute change in Amsterdam and your plane is delayed.

When I expressed my worries about catching my connecting flight on the plane the flight attendant simply noted that I would have to hurry. When she was leaving though she chirped encouragingly over her schoulder: "You'll make it!" It didn't quite convince me.

It took me quite a while to get out of the plane since I was seated in the far back of the plane and I had to wait for everybody else to crowd out first. And when I had found the flight display it was already showing "boarding" and I still had to get from terminal E to terminal C, which according to the helpful signs would take 25 minutes.

When I went through the customs I asked the lady whether she thought that I'd make it in time to which she answered: "Well, it's possible, but you have to run". What ever happened to getting in front of the line if you are in a hurry? And what ever happened to airport personnell running with you through the airport to make sure you make it?

When I was running the last stretch after the security check, the displays blinked already "gate closing". But I made it in time, quite out of breath and sweaty but just in time. Also quite predictably, my luggage didn't make it. So I got an extra practice in getting used to the time change: staying awake waiting to recieve the lost luggage.

When I finally got the bag it had a KLM-blue note attached to it: "Please accept our apologies..." Apparently I get a discount of 25 euros if I happen to fly KLM during the next 9 months.

1 comment:

janus said...

this is why i prefer knapsacks when traveling, even if i do look like a kangaroo:

i'm always paranoid that i must run to catch a plane/train/person/bus. \: