Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Reykjav­­ík

Today I'm wondering why there are no comments on my last mysterious picture post? Maybe it wasn't mysterious at all? I agree that it's rather flat but I don't think it's boring...

It means of course that I'm in Reykjavík. The picture is from the bus ride from Keflavík Airport to Reykjavík. I arrived on Monday. Yesterday we had rain and today we're having wind. Maybe tomorrow we'll get them both.

I love it so far. Here are my first impressions:

1) It looks like Amerika. Because everything is designed for the cars: wide streets and parking lots and strip malls.

2) It smells like boiled eggs. Because all the hot water comes from the hot springs and contains sulfur.

3) It is too expensive. Because I'm quite broke and we live close to the main shopping street Laugavegur with all the fancy boutiques.

4) It is extremely honest. Because to get the access card to the department at the University of Reykjavík the only thing you need to do is to spell your first name.

5) It is yummy. Because I simply love skyr.
6) It is wonderful. Because there is Weather and Sea and Clouds that constantly change their shape and Blue mountains and raw Air.

4 comments:

Kevin said...

Oooh! Jealous. I want to try skyr.

When you left Finland I felt a disturbance in the force: namely, the average ability of Finns to dance silly dances with serious faces dropped dramatically.

I'm talking in a porosity seminar in a few weeks. You'll be quoted often...

Saara said...

Oh you should be, it's really good. Kind of like the greek yoghurt I used to eat in Ann Arbor (you can get it from Finland as well), but thicker and creamier. It's like dessert.

Speaking of dancing I just got this
link from my friend today. It's hilarious. It's a video of a dancing parrot who's really got the rhythm. I don't know about the serious face though...

Oh, and I just got offered a dance teaching job yesterday :) but it would have started in November and I'm not here then. :(

I'm jealous of your seminar. I bet more than you are of my skyr.

janus said...

to S: huh. i thought it was mysterious, but i wasn't sure if it was put there in error.

to K: there is a seminar exclusively for porosity?!?

Saara said...

Commenting Janus' comment on my post: Now, why would I do something in error? :)

Commenting Janus' comment on Kevin's comment: Yes, there is. In Jyväskylä. I'm so jealous.