Sunday, September 30, 2007

Porvoo Pictures

Updating my pictures again. These are from the excursion to Porvoo during the Ahlfors Conference. Most of them consist of pictures of windows in the old town of Porvoo and horizons on our boat trip back to Helsinki. Here are a couple of samples.






















A Globe and a Glass Statue. One of my dozens of window pictures. It seemed that there was a tradition of curiously pretty window arrangements in the old town of Porvoo. Almost all the windows were decorated with flowers, statues, figurines and what ever the owners had come up with and some had come up with pretty neat and original stuff. Käpylä, the neighbouhood I'm from in Helsinki is somewhat similar with wooden houses and indeed some people have also decorated windows. I also liked how you would get reflections of the opposite buildings in the picures like in this one.

















The boat trip offered unbelievably beautiful soft blue scenes. I think one of the most lovely sensations is the sea wind on your face. It's so soft and caressing and so fresh and alive. In Ann Arbor I learned that it is really a question of the humidity in the air, I would often get an urge to "walk to the seaside" even though I knew that the lakes were quite far away.






















When we arrived in Kauppatori I said: "Isn't my home town beautiful?" and I felt it really was the most beautiful place. During the conference I experienced a keen love I have for the city. It feels weird walking the familiar streets with people who are there only passing by and don't know every corner and stone like they were old friends.

So, more pictures (but less emotion) here.

No comments: