Monday, January 22, 2007

Mythological creatures

Today was Jana's birthday. Or actually yesterday. But I only found out about it on Friday so I didn't have time to find a big birthday present. So to cover up for the small present I'd bought I drew a bigger card.

I was inspired by the movie we saw on Friday: Pan's Labyrinth. It was really good. And there was a faun. So somehow I got the idea that I should draw all of us as fantasy creatures. Here is the card. It features Jana the Fairy, Daniel the Centaur and Bär the Bär. And on the sides you can find Pekka the Unicorn, Kai the Cerberus, Mario the Dragon, Juha the Troll and me: Saara the Sphinx.























I'm not exactly sure if everybody got exactly the right character but it shouldn't be taken that seriously anyway. I'm especially proud of Bär, he looks just like himself. And why didn't he get a fantasy charecter, then? Well, because he really is one alredy.

So is this the crowd I hang around with? Yes and no. This is the upper class. I'm actually not upper class. But last time I was here I lived with Jana. And I'm a visitor. I'm sort of in between. The upper class refers of course to Faculty. And the lower class are the grad students. I haven't really figured out the rules yet. So far it seems to me that the upper class keeps complaining about the fact that the lower class won't hang around with them enough. And the lower class is a bit scared to be left alone with the upper class and thinks that the upper class must need some time alone once in a while without them running around in their feet.

4 comments:

Kevin said...

New Year's resolution: I will come to any upper class social activity that I am invited to.

There aren't really rules, I guess, which is probably what makes it complicated. And I'm not really scared of the upper class anymore, but just like with any group, I don't want to push myself into activities where I'm not welcome.

Kiva kuvat! Juha the troll :)

janus said...

you know, i always thought of juha as a lion, and mario a panther; perhaps it is because of hairstyles. pekka reminds me of a badger, but no animal ever came to mind for daniel or for kai.

but sergey is definitely a bear; a friendly one.

but i would agree with kevin, or at least his stipulation: if i am invited then i'll stop by, but usually i have little to say.

Anonymous said...

Nice picture, Saara!

You used Mediterranian mythological creatures. How would you depict your friends as Finnish mythological creatures? You'd probably be Para (there are no snow leopards in Finnish mythology, so this feline character is the best I can think of).

(I'd be Iku-Turso)

T.S.

Saara said...

Yeah... I thought about picturing the finnish guys as Finnish creatures, but then I realized that nobody would know what they are. Even I had to look your Para up (not claiming to be any expert in mythological creatures (I know someone who is, though), but I'm nevertheless finnish). And besides, then I'd have had to have the German guys as German creatures and I'd have known even less about them.

So I just picked the most common creatures that I felt everybody would know (and recognize from my pictures).

I totally agree with you, Jasun, about Sergiy. Definitely a very friendly bear.

If I could pick any animal for Juha, I guess he'd be a moose. A very Finnish one, one that wanders around in a forest and munches lichen. One that doesn't eat anybody but is quite awe-inspiring nevertheless, just because of the sheer size.

Kevin would be an otter, I think. Jasun, you'd be a red panda, Johanna would be a squirrel, Marie a dingo and I just WANT to be a cat. But you see - we're all small animals as the theme of this post requires. :) Pekka would actually have to be an Anime creature, but my knowledge about them too limited.