Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Changes

The swans from the lake Tjörnin have left for the North for Summer. There was only one swan at the lake tonight. And we know, we saw all it's friends already up there in the North.

Also my favourite cafe Barinn has closed down. There was a yellow wrapper on the windows that informed us that on Friday May 30th a new bar will open there. And we will be flying back to Finland the same day.

So my life here ends and I have to reborn again for Helsinki. How to be a mathematician again after being a dancer for five months, I have no idea. The truth is that the biggest change has happened already. I don't wish to reborn.

But the weirdest thing we saw on tonight's walk was this house in Tjörnin. Yes, in Tjörnin. What happened here??

















It is a piece of art of course. By easy googling I found out that it is an installation called Atlantis by Tea Mäkipää and Halldórs Úlfarsson and that it has been already sailing in Finland. Here's a link to Mäkipää's cite. (Mäkipää is Finnish of course and Úlfarsson Icelandic.)

4 comments:

janus said...

So my life here ends and I have to reborn again for Helsinki. How to be a mathematician again after being a dancer for five months, I have no idea.

it's not quite the same thing, but i fear switch back to being a mathematician after being a thesis writer for so long ..

perhaps i make much of it, but it worries me all the same.

Saara said...

On the positive side, sometimes things go smoother after a bit of a break... Or maybe I'm deluding myself?? ;)

janus said...

sometimes it does, but only if you had fun and if you missed maths just a little ..

also, a curious question:

Also my favourite cafe Barinn has closed down. There was a yellow wrapper on the windows that informed us that on Friday May 30th a new bar will open there.

is "barinn" a name, or does it compound "bar" and "inn?"

Saara said...

I'm sure that I had fun but not so sure I missed math. Or how little is enough??? ;)

On the Barinn question, it's neither. It's the definite form of the masculine word bar, which suprisingly enough means bar. So "a bar" is bar, but "the bar" is barinn.

There is also a famous café/bar called Kaffibarinn, guess what that means?

If you are wondering why a café is called a bar it's because all the cafés in Reykjavík are night clubs at night and all the night clubs are cafés during the day. Otherwise I guess a place couldn't survive in the small city.