Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Snow in Iceland (and Fall in Finland)

















Since there was already a post called Snow in Michigan I think I'm entitled to break my 7-9 posts a month streak with this Snow in Iceland sequel. Why it isn't called Snow in Reykjavík can be justified by two different reasons, firstly because the previous post was named sloppily Snow in Michigan instead of the more correct choice Snow in Ann Arbor and secondly, because the picture in this post is not from Reykjavík but from Þingvellir, where we were on Sunday.

Þingvellir is a place between the Eurasian and North American tectonic plates where the oldest still functioning parliament was founded in 930. I have again hudreds of pretty cool pictures from there and from the other stops during the Golden Circle tour that we took on Sunday. That's the classic tour every tourist in Iceland takes so if you've been here you've probably seen it all already. But I think we had the greatest weather.

It had been rainy and windy and grey for a long time but during the Sunday night the cold and dry weather from the North finally beat the warm and wet weather from the Gulf Stream and in the morning the whole land was covered in the pure thin layer of the first snow that was preserved by the gentle frost and illuminated by the clear sunlight.

So now the picture queue contains pictures from Þórsmörk and from the Golden Circle tour and there will also be collected random pictures from Reykjavík (but these I'm posting first when I'm back in Helsinki just to make sure that I get them all in the same folder).

But while you're waiting for the Icelandic pictures, check out some Finnish ones. Namely I've finally gone through the pictures from Kirsi's birthday party, that was held just before I came here. The collection features among other things the autumn leaves I was previously complaining about. The subtitles are in Finnish this time, though, but you can still find my Cinderellaean family: my dad Leevi, my step mom Kirsi and my step sisters Miina and Mari. The place is Villa Kivi by the Töölönlahti lake in the middle of Helsinki.

No comments: