Sunday, April 8, 2007

Penguins

For some reason there has been quite a lot of references to graduate studies in Viivi ja Wagner lately. Maybe to humour me?

This
is yesterdays strip. This time I think I can attempt a translation again:

Viivi: You should study! Don't you have any ambition?

Wagner: Animals don't. Or are you telling me that penguins write dissertations?

the penguin: Hi Wagner! Will you come to my karonkka?
Wagner: You've got to be kidding...

Karonkka is the party you have after your defence in Finland. The defence is a great ordeal with tail-coats, interrogation and protocol. The party is held in honour of the opponent with full-length menu, tosts and ceremony.

As opposed to the tradition here where you give a short talk in your jeans and sweater and afterwards go to a pizza and beer party...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

About the word "Karonkka".

The word comes from the Russian word
"koronka" (pronounced karonkka), which
is the diminunive form of "korona", crown.

However, if you tak about "koronka" or
"koronovanije" (lit. crowning, coronation) for modern Russians, they would probably understand it as the "crowning" that happens when prison inmates come to pay homage to a newly imprisoned mafia boss.

T.S.

Saara said...

Speaking of mafia, I promise that there'll soon be a post about a unique kind of mafia here in Ann Arbor. So check back soon!

You see? If you comment, you can influence the blog...

Unknown said...

For me the word "koronka" (lit. "small crown") is associated with dentistry rather than anything else. However, it may be the case that I am not really a modern Russian; for instance, I have not been imprisoned yet.

Saara said...

Ow! No wonder people are nervous before the defence: mafia AND dentists!

But you called my bluff. I won't promise to write about dentistry.

Comments, however, DO still make me happy! :)